[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 Bleeding Edge install question

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Sep 28 11:29:01 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:32, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>

> The best kernels I currently have for 2.6 are in the "experimental"
> repository, they have to be installed explicitly (not through a meta
> package), and they are only advertised in the mailing list.
>
> Check this post for information on current latest bleeding edge kernel:
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2004-August/005879.html
> And follow the link inside for more details...
>
> Remember that before trying the apt-get install xxx. you have to add
> another line to the /etc/apt/sources.list (same as the planetcore line,
> but replacing planetcore with planetedge), and do an apt-get update.

Great. Relatively straight forward. I must say you are one organized guy...

I see three potential 'bleeding edge' kernels - the one you referenced
ending with .1vP9.rhfc2.ccrma, but also two others - .1vP0 and .1vQ3. Do
I still want .1vP9 as referenced in your emails?

Once these (kernel and matching Alsa) are installed it is my
understanding that I remove the planetedge option from sources.list?

>>Also, there has been considerable discussion on the Gentoo lists that
>>the right modutils package for 2.6 series kernels is called
>>module-init-tools. I see what appears to be the older 2.4 series
>>modutils here:
>>
>>apt-get install modutils
>>
>>I assume this is correct for what we're doing on FC2 and that the other
>>is just a Gentoo thing?
>

> The Fedora modutils package actually includes the newer
> module-init-tools inside, together with the older legacy 2.4 support.

Cool. Thanks.