[PlanetCCRMA] Any Spanish-speaking Planet CCRMA users out there?

Thu Sep 30 11:28:01 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 18:35, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> Just some comments from the sidelines.  I think the "official" linux
> way of approaching this problem is to use docbook for all the
> documentation.  This already has multi-language support and easily
> generates output for html, pdf or whatever you want.  The layout of
> the existing planet documentation is uite straight forward and
> wouldn't be that difficult to convert.  The files are still text and
> this would then open up access to all the various docbook tools out
> there for indexing etc.  (Fernando: I you want to go this way, I'd
> offer to do the initial conversion for you)

Docbook is definitely an option. I have to learn more about it.

The only problem I see is one of automation (within docbook) for things
like link generation and other stuff. For example, in the latex code I
posted yesterday:

\item[\linkBaseAll{freqtweak}{\freqtweakver}]

"linkBaseAll" is a latex command that I created in the same latex file,
part of the definition looks like this:

\newcommand{\linkBaseAll} [2]{#1-#2
[\htmladdnormallink{7.3}{\rpmBaseSevenThree/#1-#2.rh73.ccrma.i386.rpm} |
... more deleted

It is a two argument command (the "[2]") and #1 and #2 inserts the
arguments into the text. So, that simple original line is expanding
through several layers of macros or commands ("\rpmBaseSevenThree" is
also a command that I define that inserts the base url for all RH7.3
base packages) to the full latex output, which is later translated to
html.

What you end up seeing in the web page is:

freqtweak-0.6.1-1 [7.3 |

(with "7.3" being a highlighted link to the rpm)

I like this because I can define commands that make it easy to describe
what I want without unnecessary verbosity. The other very important side
effect is that something like a version number for a certain package is
defined in one place and one place only.

Is docbook capable of doing something similar? Or would I have to use
external preprocessing to achieve similar results?

-- Fernando