[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 1 or 2

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 06:47:01 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 05:51:49 -0700, R Parker wrote:
> > I've upgraded from 1 to 2 on a few machines and it
> > went quite smoothly.
> > The planet packages may need a bit of cooercion to
> > force an upgrade, I
> > think I had to remove the -core package and install
> > the new one.A
>
> Aside from coercing the packages, how do you do an
> upgrade? Is it as simple as pointing to the
> appropriate application repository and hitting the
> Synaptic Distribution upgrade button?

I just boot from the fedora CD 1, it has upgrade/reinstall options.

> Is there upgrade documents we should read?

Yeah, the release notes.

> I noticed Fernando likes to do an installation rather
> than an upgrade.

Yes, its proably a better idea overall, but I'm lazy so I figure I can
always wipe and reinstall if it all goes wrong. I tend to keep a lot of
little hell scripts and things around that I want, and are had to backup
and restore.

> I suppose it's not a bad idea to upgrade from RH9 to
> FC1 if for no other reason than to prepare for the 2.6
> kernel. Should I bother? I would be upgrading a backup
> machine and not the main studio work box.

FC1 wont help with 2.6, only FC2 supports 2.6 out of the box AFAIK.

- Steve