[PlanetCCRMA] Removing oss kernel modules in FC2

Mon Nov 29 16:14:01 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:31, Leon Kackman wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:02, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 18:32, Leon Kackman wrote:
> > > I am pretty new to linux (and to lists like this, my apologies in
> > > advance) and I am attempting to configure the alsa driver in Fedora core
> > > 2. I have installed the CCRMA version of FC2 and all has gone well,
> > > thank-you for the work you have done to make it possible. I have three
> > > questions:
> > >
> > > I am trying to remove the oss kernel modules and I would like to know
> > > which modules to remove and to know how to turn them off before removing
> > > them? Here is my list (before running alsaconf) and what happens when I
> > > run '/sbin/rmmod':
> >
> > Sorry, my fault, I need to add new instructions for FC2. FC2 does not
> > use OSS at all so there are no modules to remove. If the initial install
> > of FC2 recognized your soundcard you don't need to run alsaconf either.
>
> No worries, It looks like we're into new territory for you at least in
> terms of documentation. Thanks.
> >

> > > [root@mtswir104 leon]# /sbin/lsmod
> > > Module                  Size  Used by
> > > audio                  37504  0
> >
> > Hmm, except for this one, I seem to remember this is the usb audio
> > module (non-alsa), do you have a usb soundcard?
>
> I do use a USB soundcard (there is also a pci soundcard that I don't
> use) and the machine finds, plays and receives sound through it. Can I
> assume that it is configured for alsa?

Nope, you can't :-) "audio" is not the alsa kernel module for usb audio,
"snd-usb-audio" is. If you want to use your usb card with alsa you have
to blacklist the audio module so that alsa gets a chance to load its own
module. There are some instructions in the Planet CCRMA site, look for
multiple cards and usb audio cards.

> I have installed Jack and tried
> to start it with "jackd -d alsa -d hw:0" but that doesn't seem to work
> as follows:
>
> [root@mtswir104 leon]# jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
> jackd 0.99.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> creating alsa driver ...
> hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

Well, to me it looks like it is working just fine.

Did you try starting an audio application that uses jack? Keep in mind
that both the server and the client have to run as the same user (you
seem to be running jack as root).

-- Fernando