[PlanetCCRMA] Removing oss kernel modules in FC2

Leon Kackman assistprior@shastaabbey.org
Mon Nov 29 15:32:02 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:02, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 18:32, Leon Kackman wrote:
> > I am pretty new to linux (and to lists like this, my apologies in
> > advance) and I am attempting to configure the alsa driver in Fedora core
> > 2. I have installed the CCRMA version of FC2 and all has gone well,
> > thank-you for the work you have done to make it possible. I have three
> > questions:
> >
> > I am trying to remove the oss kernel modules and I would like to know
> > which modules to remove and to know how to turn them off before removing
> > them? Here is my list (before running alsaconf) and what happens when I
> > run '/sbin/rmmod':
>
> Sorry, my fault, I need to add new instructions for FC2. FC2 does not
> use OSS at all so there are no modules to remove. If the initial install
> of FC2 recognized your soundcard you don't need to run alsaconf either.

No worries, It looks like we're into new territory for you at least in
terms of documentation. Thanks.

> > [root@mtswir104 leon]# /sbin/lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> > audio                  37504  0
>
> Hmm, except for this one, I seem to remember this is the usb audio
> module (non-alsa), do you have a usb soundcard?

I do use a USB soundcard (there is also a pci soundcard that I don't
use) and the machine finds, plays and receives sound through it. Can I
assume that it is configured for alsa? I have installed Jack and tried
to start it with "jackd -d alsa -d hw:0" but that doesn't seem to work
as follows:

[root@mtswir104 leon]# jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Leon