[PlanetCCRMA] Recompile kernel from src rpm

Mon Nov 29 12:09:02 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:57, Peter Lutek wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:45, Rick B wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     I want to recompile the 2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma kernel to
> > not include some things built into the kernel (agpgart,etc).
> > Since the kernel-source isn't available on the repository what is the
> > best way to do this? Sorry for my ignorance. If you have a link that
> > explains how please post it. I have kernel-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.src.rpm
> > and I know there must be a way to unpack this and recompile it.
>
> rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.src.rpm
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> bunzip2 linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz
> tar -xvf linux-2.6.8.1.tar
>
> this yields the full source tree under
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.8.1, with all the configs and patches
> under /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
>
> at this point, i am confused. has the source under ...../linux-2.6.8.1
> been patched already, or do we need to re-patch? if we need to patch, is
> there a doc somewhere which outlines the order and content of patching?

Read my email again. "rpmbuild -bp kernel-xxx.spec" will unpack all
sources and patch them, the source tree will be in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

> my specific issue is to attempt to get acpi functional (currently some
> of the /proc/acpi/ directories are empty). i don't see the acpi patch in
> ..../SOURCES/ , so i'll have to apply that patch, but there may be
> issues about when in the patch sequence i apply that one.

Acpi is already part of the kernel in 2.6.x, AFAIK it does not need a
patch.

The patches applied are specified in the .spec file that corresponds to
the kernel.

-- Fernando