[PlanetCCRMA] Re: El-cheapo: How to test 3 cards simultaneously?

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Wed Nov 24 03:54:02 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 16:59, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> Most probably, you'll have to change the driver interface name to the one
> you inscribed on your asoundrc file, instead of "hw:0", "hw:1" nor "hw:2",
> which referr to each individual card device.
>
> I'm only catching the topic this time, but I guess you had to do a special
> asoundrc configuration to gang your three cards, hadn't you?

Yes, but it never worked, this is what I get:

- clip clip -

localhost:/etc$ jackstart -R -dalsa -dttable -r44100 -p128 -n3 -S back
from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ...
ttable|ttable|128|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 128 frames, buffer = 3 periods
You appear to be using the ALSA software "plug" layer, probably
a result of using the "default" ALSA device. This is less
efficient than it could be. Consider using a hardware device
instead rather than using the plug layer. Usually the name of the
hardware device that corresponds to the first soun
You appear to be using the ALSA software "plug" layer, probably
a result of using the "default" ALSA device. This is less
efficient than it could be. Consider using a hardware device
instead rather than using the plug layer. Usually the name of the
hardware device that corresponds to the first soun
ALSA lib pcm.c:1178:(snd_pcm_link) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_LINK failed:
Operation already in progress
jackstart: pcm.c:5957: snd_pcm_mmap_commit: Assertion `frames <=
snd_pcm_mmap_avail(pcm)' failed.

- clipeticlip -

My /etc/asound.conf looks like this:

- clip clip -
pcm.multi {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
                type multi
                slaves.a {
                        pcm "hw:0"
                        channels 2
                }
                slaves.b {
                        pcm "hw:1"
                        channels 2
                }
                slaves.c {
                        pcm "hw:2"
                        channels 2
                }
                bindings [
                        { slave a channel 0 }
                        { slave a channel 1 }
                        { slave b channel 0 }
                        { slave b channel 1 }
                        { slave c channel 0 }
                        { slave c channel 1 }
                ]
        }
}
ctl.multi {
        type hw;
        card 0;
}
pcm.ttable {
        type route;
        slave.pcm "multi";
        ttable.0.0 1;
        ttable.1.1 1;
        ttable.2.2 1;
        ttable.3.3 1;
        ttable.4.4 1;
        ttable.5.5 1;
}

ctl.ttable {
        type hw;
        card 0;
}

- clipeti clip -

As my cards use a common crystal they should be clocksynced. What could
be wrong?

Timo