[PlanetCCRMA] Other Apt problems

Shayne O'Connor forums@machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Nov 24 02:03:01 2004

> I keep getting this when using apt-get upgrade:
>
> The following packages have been kept back
>    fftw3 lilypond specimen swh-plugins
>
> Why is that?

I'm pretty sure that's because an update for those packages is
available, but you've chosen not to update them - hence they are being
'held back' from being upgraded ...

if you're using synaptic, then all the packages that have an update
available will be marked by a star over the selection box. if you're not
using synaptic then, from the command line, do:

apt-get install synaptic

if you're just new to the whole apt thing, then it's going to take a lot
of trial and error - especially where multimedia apps are concerned - to
get things right and avoid conflicts ...

i usually install from the fedora core 2 discs, then follow the apt
instructions on planetccrma website (basically, # apt-get install
planetccrma-core / apt-get install modutils), then install all the jack
packages, givertcap, realcap script - then i wipe my ccrma apt
sources.list and apt.conf and replace them with those for the fedora.us
and livna repositories. i then install stuff like mplayer, some games
etc mp3 capabilities. i find that this way avoids the conflicts. you'll
probly have to find a peculiar way of your own :)

i then reconfigure apt for ccrma access and install all the sequencers,
synths and other audio/midi applications that i need to use.

shayne