[PlanetCCRMA] Re: 2.6.7 ccrma kernel and usb / nvidia support

Rick B zajelo3@cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 23 17:00:04 2004

Shayne O'Connor wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:18, Rick B wrote:
>

>>Sorry Shayne, but I'm running out of ideas, but I'll go ahead and throw
>>my last few at you. Have you looked at the gnomad2 homepage?
>>(http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/) The part I'm talking about is at the
>>top where it says something about needing to use the CVS version of
>>libnjb to get certain functionality from gnomad2.
>>

>yeah, i've installed from cvs yesterday, but no go ... i think that
>documents a little old, as the gnomad2v2.5 rpm gives all the
>functionality of the cvs now anyways ... i'm almost positive that this
>is entirely an issue with the planetccrma kernel (when i boot into the
>stock fc2 kernel, my irq's are fine, and so is gnomad2).
>

>> I'm basically using
>>the same setup as you, a A7N8X-Del. mobo that's Nforce2 based, but I've
>>never tried to get something like the zen touch to work on my machine,
>>if you want to send me one I'll give it a try (just joking). I've looked
>>at my dmesg output and I don't see anything about disabling irq10, as a
>>matter of fact that's what my video card is using. One difference is
>>that I'm using a planetedge kernel (2.6.8.1-1.520.1vR9.ll.rhfc2.ccrma)
>>so maybe you should give that a try. Here's the repo link you need to
>>add to your /etc/apt/sources.list if you decide to try it:
>>
>>rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt fedora/2/i386 planetedge
>>

>ok, i'm downloading this now with apt - a couple of questions though -
>is it only the alsa-module that i need to install to go alongside this
>kernel? will it use the jack and other stuff i already have installed
>for my previous ccrma kernel (as well as realcap)?
>
>on a short positive note, i have been able to get my nvidia card working
>with this version of the driver:
>

>>NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run
>>

>is that the same one that you said you were using? in any case this brings up another
>question - i'll probly need the source code for that planetedge kernel to compile the
>driver module, but i couldn't see it listed in apt ... will i need it to compile the Nvidia driver?
>

>>  One thing I've read is that you can disable the irq disabling code by
>>adding "noirqdebug" to the kernel boot line in grub.conf. Evidently
>>there is some bug that still hasn't been worked out, with how the 2.6
>>kernel handles irq issues. I've also read that disabling apic (not
>>acpi!) helps and as you have the same bios as I do, I know that there is
>>an option in the bios to turn of apic support. I don't have apic enabled
>>so this might be another difference between our setups.
>>

>ok, i'll check this out ... keep getting confused between apic and acpi
>(so there IS a difference!) ... but, yeah - i don't hold much hope here,
>i'm more hoping that the later kernel will sort it all out :|
>

>> I know this is
>>all a pain but you have to remember that the 2.6 kernel is new and still
>>has some bugs in it. Hope some of this info helps.

> [...]
With the planetedge kernel alsa is already compiled into the kernel, so
you don't have to go through the extra steps of installing it.  I think
it will use all the other audio components the same as the other kernels
too, but as far as the realcap module, I don't know.  I'm using the 6111
Nvidia driver, but if 6106 is working fine for you I wouldn't rock the
boat. Yes, you will have to install the nvidia driver for the new
kernel. With the planetedge kernels there isn't any source available so
I just do a "apt-get install kernel-sourcecode#2.6.8-1.521" (notice
that's "kernel-sourcecode") and then link /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.6.8-1.521 (ln -s
/usr/src/linux-2.6.8-1.521 /usr/src/linux) and the nvidia driver
installs without complaints.

                Rick B