[PlanetCCRMA] Re: El-cheapo: How to test 3 cards simultaneously?

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Tue Nov 23 19:36:01 2004

The Web Mail UI crashed and I am not sure if the mail left or not... Sorry for the double post, if this came through already.

Mark wrote:

>Well, if all three cards are really there then how about
>esting them in Jack? Start up qjackctl and start Jack
>synced to any one of the cards. Start up 3 instances of
>alsplayer playing a different file. Hook up each alsaplayer
>to a different card. Hear separate sound from each card.

This is exactly what I would like to do, but I do not know how to. I can only see one alsa_pcm device in the connections window of Qjackctl. In the setup window I am only able to choose one of the soundcards at a time, e.g. either hw:0, hw:1 or hw:2, but only one at a time. The setup window has no option for more than one card at a time. I would like to run all three at once to have three alsa_pcm devices in the connections window. How do I do that?

I was able to test the cards thanks to Jaroslav Kysela's advice on the linux-alsa-user list with Aplay. They work, one can play different wav files throuhg separate cards simultaneously, which proves they can be used at once. I just need to know how to access all of them simultaneously with jack. I tried to create a sinble alsa device out of them but that failes, hence I would rather like to see the cards as separate cards in the connection window and use them as separate but simultaneously. How do I do that?

br, Timo

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/