[PlanetCCRMA] intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG with planetedge kernels

Peter Lutek plutek@infinity.net
Fri Nov 19 14:44:01 2004

> By default ESSID is set to off/any (try an iwconfig now that it is up)
>
> Also your WEP Access point may not be asking for a Key. Many points
> like this (coffee houses, resturaunts, etc) will be wide open.

iwconfig shows the ESSID that my router is set to, and it also shows my
encryption key. has my brain become so addled that i've forgotten
actually entering this stuff at some point during the last couple of
days of hashing this out, or is it possible that my linux machine has
sniffed out this info? is there a file somewhere which should contain
this info? one line in iwconfig says "Security mode: open", so maybe the
network is not actually as secure as i thought. the router IS set to
128-bit WEP, and i know my Windows machines require the key to access
it, so i'm still confused here.

anyone else want to jump into the fray? (in the meantime, perhaps i'll
grep my entire system for my ESSID and WEP key to see where that info
lives -- oh boy)

best-
-p