[PlanetCCRMA] 4K Page sizes and wireless problems with Planet kernels

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Nov 18 18:07:01 2004

Fernando,
   I think I ran into a problem Timo was alluding to in a different
email thread. Info is here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Distributions

<SNIP>
RedHat/Fedora

    Recent 2.6 kernels have an option to enable/disable 4k stack size.
However, Fedora kernels disable this option altogether and use 4K
stack size, which is not enough for some windows drivers.
Consequently, if you use Fedora 2.6 kernel, ndiswrapper will most
likely crash. If you want to use Fedora kernel, get 16K stack kernel
or patch from Linuxant
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-kernel-i686.php
for i686 or http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-kernel-i586.php
for i586. Alternately, you can compile a vanilla kernel (from
http://www.kernel.org) and disable 4K stack size (CONFIG_4KSTACKS).
<SNIP>

I'm using the newest ndiswrapper stuff with a Planet kernel and things
are crashing. I have no way of knowing if this is the cause, but it
seems like I'm tempting fate.

I wondered if you had any opinions about whether changing the stack
size as they talk about here is a good/bad idea? Have you tried this
before? Might you be considering a change like this in a PlanetEdge
kernel at some future time?

Thanks,
Mark