[PlanetCCRMA] acpi and 2.6.7

Matthew Allen Matthew Allen <mtallen@gmail.com>
Fri Nov 12 15:27:00 2004

I am running FC2 with the 2.6.7 low latency kernel
(2.6.7-1.437.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma) on a sager np3790 laptop. So far
everything is stellar. I have been able to get ntfs support into the
kernel and my touch pad has pretty much full support. There is one
thing that I am trying to get me head around and I thought I would ask
the list.

It appears from looking at lsmod that I have kernel modules for
button, battery, ac and asus_acpi. I am pretty much a noob when it
comes to acpi (this is my first laptop) and I am thourghly confused by
the myriad of acpi/apm how-to's out there. Most of them concentrate on
getting stuff into the kernel, but not on setting up the acpi stuff
once it is in. Basically It feels like my machine gets a lot hotter
under linux than it does when I boot into windows. I know that acpi
has a temperature module, but I am assuming that it wasn't built as a
seperate module for this kernel? I took a look at menuconfig for the
kernel, and it said temperature was compiled in, but when I look at
/proc/acpi/therma_zone its empty. Is this normal? Do I have to set it
up myself? Is there a concise end user resource that I keep missing in
my searches?

I think I am wearing out google.com/linux

thanks!

m.