[PlanetCCRMA] 2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90.ccrmasmp kernel not installing

Noah Garrett Wallach logic@enabled.com
Thu Nov 11 10:52:01 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:05:22 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:17:01 -0800
> "Noah Garrett Wallach" <logic@enabled.com> wrote:

> > > Enterprise Linux again? Sigh. Unsupported!!
> >
> > I understand ya here but Redhat 9.0 was end of life on April 30, 2004 - thats
> > over 6 months ago - which is eons in the computer world.  Redhat no longer
> > supports it or updates to it.
>
> That doesn't mean it's still not the best solution to a problem!
>
> > So I am stuck here with new hardware that redhat 9.0 doesnt boot on since it
> > cant probe it and does nto have the drivers for most of it.  and I dont think
> > FC1 would boot on it either, although I have not tried.
>
> Noah, I'm running RH9 on a brand-spanking-new P4 and ASUS mobo.  I'm
> a bit confused as to why you say you can't run RH9 on your system.
> Where is the probe failing?

Thanks Joe,

its failing because both my machines use a serial ATA bus which requires an
ata_piix driver which is absent with RH9 but ships with the latest update to
Linux Enterprise.

Here is information on my machine:
http://www.centralcomputer.com/itemdetail.asp?item=SYSSHUSB811R

Also I am finding that it is not installed with the recent RH9 CCRMA kernels
versions 2.4.20-31.1 and 2.4.26-1.ll - so I am unable to boot without it.  The
drive in the machine does not get recognized at all.

I am going to try FC2 to see if that fixes things - since these machines are
dedicated to the CCRMA project.

--- snip ---

[root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 root]# find /lib/modules/ -name ata_piix\*
/lib/modules/2.4.21-20.EL/kernel/drivers/scsi/ata_piix.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-20.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/scsi/ata_piix.o

--- snip ---

- Noah