[PlanetCCRMA] recommended linux install

Tue Nov 9 17:31:01 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 17:10, Matthew Allen wrote:
> I dont think there has been any work at all under CCRMA for FC3.

That's correct. It will happen but not today. FC3 just came out a few
days ago. It will take me time to rebuild everything, and as I mention
below, the problem of a high performance stable kernel in the 2.6.x
family (for low latency audio work) is still open.

> FC2 is sort of supported but for the most solid expirience you should
> stick with FC1.

That would be my recommendation as well for now. FC2 is close but the
best performing kernels in the 2.6.x are still quite experimental.

> The main problem is latency with the new 2.6 kernels
> (which both FC2 and 3 come with).
>
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:15:37 -0800, Noah Garrett Wallach
> <logic@enabled.com> wrote:
> >
> > what is a recommended linux install since it appears that many are not
> > familiar with Redhat Workstation?

The problem is not familiarity at all.

Let me explain. Each distribution version is made up of hundreds of
individual packages. Each one of those has a version number and release.
With few exceptions all versions of RedHat/Fedora Core have different
versions of the included packages. Sometimes the differences are small,
sometimes the differences are huge (from release to release).

If you build a package in one version of the distribution (say, RedHat
9), and try to install and run it on another version (say, RedHat 7.3),
all bets are off. It may not install because there are library
incompatibility problems (or missing libraries altogether), or it may
install but fail to run correctly because of more subtle problems. Or,
of course, it may install and run fine :-)

The only solution that I can support (while staying sane), is to build
all of the Planet CCRMA packages on top of each particular distribution
version (ie: one tree of Planet CCRMA packages for each distro version).
Obviously I cannot do that for _all_ versions.

So, if you run a distribution that I have not built for, again, all bets
are off. There may be enough differences that installing Planet CCRMA
will be an excersice in patience, as you have found out (in addition, a
repository for the _base_ packages - meaning what is included in the
original cdroms plus the updates - is not available, which will make
things worse because all those packages will not be available for
automatic dependency resolution, that is, you will have to do that by
hand!).

Just in case, of course that does not mean that installing a recommended
version will be a painless experience either :-)

-- Fernando