[PlanetCCRMA] AlmusVCU installing on FC1 PlanetCcrma

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Nov 7 08:01:05 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:22:57 +0100, Michele Spinolo
<michele.spinolo@tin.it> wrote:
> I Mark,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> Consider I am a real newbye to Linux related world :-(, I installed Synaptic
> during PlanetCcrma installation but never used it.

OK.

> I suppose I need an internet connection in order to run, download and
> install them, which is currently unavaible to my audio workstation (minimal
> FC1 install to have best performances).

Ethernet connections do not cause a lot of problems under Linux as
they sometimes do under Windows. You should consider adding a network
connection as you will be able to more easily stay up to date with new
releases as well as install things you find you need over time.

> I installed PlanetCcrma from CD-Roms modifing apt-get files to use them as
> archive: I was wondering if these libraries were avaible in those CD-Roms;

I would guess that some version of each of them is available. If the
apt-get files are properly modified then my guess is that Synaptic
will tell you what is available from the CDs. (I've never run a CDROM
based Planet machine so I am guessing though.)

> otherwise I think the easier solution is to download them by another
> computer, burn on a CD and manually install.
>
> Regarding manual install I was wondering if "rpm -Uhv rpmname.rpm" command
> was enough to have these libraries properly installed.

As far as I know, yes, it should be enough. I don't so much with RPMs
anymore, but that sounds a bot right. IF you are a Linux newbie, then
please be very careful to get RPMs meant for your specific release. Do
not try mixing FC2/RH9 RPMs on a FC1 machine.

Good luck,
Mark