[PlanetCCRMA] 2.6.7-1.437.1.11.rhfc2.ccrma crashes

Brad Fuller brad@sonaural.com
Fri Nov 5 21:58:02 2004

Matthew Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:14:38 -0800, Brad Fuller <brad@sonaural.com> wrote:
>
>>Matthew Allen wrote:
>>
>>>What WM are you using?
>>
>>I'm using KDE3.3  Could that be the problem?
>>
>>What WM are you using? What WM would you --- or anyone --- recommend?
>

>>From your initial description of the crash (quiting out of X and then
> being able to log back in) it sounded like a WM crash (I would have to
> see your X output to tell you for sure though). KDE is pretty big so a
> lot of things could go wrong, or a mixture of a couple of small
> things. I personally use a very small and lightweight WM called wmi
> (http://wmi.modprobe.de/), but its not really for everyone (it aims at
> minimizing the use of the mouse, there are no menus, and everything is
> keyboard driven), however it is usually at the bottom of a top
> command, and if it crashes its pretty easy to tell why. The couple
> times I ran gnome or KDE I never could track down why some things
> didn't work, but again this is treading on holy war type stuff so take
> everything I say with a grain of salt.
>

>>It is now 17:10PST and I've rebooted, started qjackctl and then pd and
>>started the testtone.pd. I'll check on it when I get back from dinner
>>and see how well it did ;-)
>

> So how did it go? any problems?

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

Yeah, it sure could have been something in KDE, but then again, it could
  have been lower in xwindows, right?

I think I'm going to try out icewm and see how it goes.

Anyway, to answer your question:
I haven't done anything on the particular machine but keep qjackctl and
pd run with pd's testtone.pd.
Started at 17:09 and it's now 21:54 with no problem and no xruns.
So far so good. Need to tax it now, though.

Thanks much!

Hear us online: www.Sonaural.com
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124