[PlanetCCRMA] FC2 "experimental" kernel install dependency error

Brad Fuller brad@sonaural.com
Thu Nov 4 14:24:01 2004

Rick B wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Ok, I got the kernel 2.6.7-1.437.1.11.rhfc2.ccrma loaded.
>> Unfortunately, Xwindows didn't start up. I had to change the
>> nvidia6111 driver to the older one -- and then X started up. Why
>> would this be? I was going to install 6111 again -- the nvidia
>> installer said it was already installed (thought maybe there was some
>> interaction between this kernel and nvidia6111.)
>>
>> Anyone come across this?
>>
>> brad
>>
> Well kind of. For me usually X will start but the 6111 drivers never
> work that good on a fresh install. So what I end up doing is
> installing the 5328 drivers and once  I know they work right  I do a
> "nvidia-installer --update" and that installs the 6111 driver. This is
> on a GF4 Ti4600.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the msg. I do have 6111 working on all the other kernels on
this machine --- I just ran the nvidia installer (from the nvidia
website) and it did the automatic compile/install/etc.
But when I run the ccrma kernel it refuses to load.

The error I got was:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***

I need to look at the nvidia docs to see where/if they log errors.

brad