[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer not finding audio devices

Noah Garrett Wallach logic@enabled.com
Wed Nov 3 11:13:00 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:06:51 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:02:47 -0800, Noah Garrett Wallach
> <logic@enabled.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:39:31 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote
> > > Noah,
> > >    You are going down a path that's not going to work well:
> > >
> > > 1) If you run your own kernel, then you build your own Alsa and you
> > > cannot use PlanetCCRMA binary packages that Fernando puts together.
> > >
> > > 2) If you want to use the Planet, then you need to run the Planet's
> > > kernel. Anything other then this (TTBOMK) is asking for trouble that
> > > isn't worth the effort.
> > >

> > Mark,
> >
> > okay I understand and thank you for being so patient with me.  this is a sole
> > machine for the PlanetCCRMA project.
> >
> > I have kernel-2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90 installed on it and boots fine with alsa
> > support and everything.  I was wondering if its possible to get my gigE card
> > recognized so at the very least I have net access.  how might I get this
> > working?  how do I find the patch?  Is there somewhere I can download the RH9
> > i686 rpm kernel source file for version 2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90 so I can
> > rpmbuild the kernel with the gigE patch?  Am I going in the right
direction here?

> > cheers,
> >
> > Noah
> >

> I have never successfully managed to build a Planet kernel even with
> Fernando's help. I seem to be missing a gene or something.
>
> Fernando will likely chime in with instructions on what to download,
> but I know that there are kernel-source RPMs available.
>
> Might be FAR less painful to go to the store and buy a supported NIC
> for $5 than all this pain, at least in the short term. Pretty much
> any cheap Netgear, 3Com or DLink NIC would liley be supported. Many folks
> have old ones sitting around from old computers. Plug one in and off
> you go. Deal with this frustration later when you know you want to
> stick with this distro.

Mark,

I thought about doing this as well since Im right here in San francisco and I
am sure somebody I could find an ether-card on one of the street corners here.
 but can you believe the box I have only has two slots.  its a shuttleX
chassis - really nice, compact, and quiet.  one slot for the video card and
the other for the RME DIGI9636.

I really appreciate your's and Fernando's patience.  I am learning lots in the
this process.

I think it would be nice to find the gigE patch, rpmbuild the
2.4.20-31.1.caps.rh90 custom kernel and install.

Off to get a cup of coffee.

cheers,

Noah