[PlanetCCRMA] alsamixer not finding audio devices

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Wed Nov 3 09:48:00 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:41:42 -0800, Noah Garrett Wallach
<logic@enabled.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> Hi Mark,
>
> got the receommended /etc/modules.conf file in there.  but the modules cant be
> located.
>
> ---- snip ---
>
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /sbin/depmod -a
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0 modprobe: Can't locate module snd-intel8x0
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Starting sound driver snd-rme96xx modprobe: Can't locate module snd-rme96xx
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> --- snip ---
>
> my file names could be different here.  so I am dropping the snd- from their
> definitions.  Am I doing the right thing?

No, this is not right. If you cannot find snd-XXXXX then I think Alsa
is not on this system.

Did you install Alsa yourself? Did you use the PlanetCCRMA install
process to get Alsa uploaded and in place?

I think you don't have Alsa installed.

Or, did you build your own kernel and build Alsa into the kernel? you
are using a version of Redhat (Workstation Version 3) that I am not
familiar with.

> --- snip ---
>
> [root@dhcp-183-1-168-192 etc]# ls
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-20.ELcustomsmp/kernel/drivers/sound/
> ac97_codec.o  ad1889.o  cs4232.o  emu10k1   forte.o       rme96xx.o    uart401.o
> ac97.o        audigy    cs4281    es1370.o  i810_audio.o  soundcore.o
> via82cxxx_audio.o
> ad1848.o      cmpci.o   cs46xx.o  es1371.o  maestro3.o    sound.o      ymfpci.o

I think these are possibly OSS modules? All Alsa modules start with
snd. (TTBOMK)