[PlanetCCRMA] problem with synaptic

joakim verona joakim@verona.se
Thu May 27 13:35:02 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>Synaptic used to run fine, but now it fails after a while in startup,
>>showing a little dialog which only says "null".
>>
>>I've tried lots of things to get it working, like cleaning the package
>>list of things that looked broken and re-installing
>>synaptic and so on.
>>

>Which version of synaptic, which version of apt, on which version of
>redhat/fedora?

synaptic 0.48.2 13.rh9.at
Redhat 9
apt 0.5.5cnc6 1 rh90.dag

Actually, I didnt think of apt being a possible problem cause,
so this version might very well be the problem.

Im trying to figure out if my apt sources are causing the problems I have.
I've abbreviated the list below.

The apt version I have seems to come from the dag repository,
and the synaptic from the at repository. This is probably no good.

When I try to upgrade apt, I get a conflict.

### Red Hat Linux 9
rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-testing
rpm-src http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-testing

# Main site, CCRMA, California, USA
#
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/9/en/i386 os
updates
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/all/en/i386
planetccrma
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/9/en/i386
planetcore
rpm http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/apt redhat/9/en/i386
planetccrma

### Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat 9
rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/9/en/i386 dag

### Red Hat Linux 9
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 freshrpms

### Red Hat Linux 9
rpm http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/ redhat/en/i386/9.0 newrpms

### Red Hat Linux 9
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates

>>My question is really: is there some other way to get the package list
>>to choose packages to install?
>>
>>apt-get install XXX is good enough for me, but how do I determine which
>>XXX:s there are to choose from?
>>

>apt-cache can be used for that. For example:
>

>  apt-cache search \.\*

Ah! great! Thanks!

/Joakim