[PlanetCCRMA] prism54 on 2.4.26-1.ll

Wed May 26 12:37:03 2004

> I bought a WIFI PCI card, the SMC 2808W and would now like o patch my
> 2.4.26-1.ll kernel with the prism54 patch to enable support for my card.
>
> I downloaded the kernel src.rpm from planet ccrma but I can not find the
> kernel anywhere for patching. There was a bz2 file in the
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directroy but untaring this resulted in a
> unpatched kernel source, not the wonderful planet ccrma kernel source.

There are several ways in which you can do this. First, to get a source
tree patched you need to install the .src.rpm (you did that already) and
then:
  cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
  rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.spec

That will unpack the sources, patch them and get the kernel ready to
build (in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.26/linux-2.4.26). For
building it (not just unpacking) you would do:
  rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.spec
(for the i386 binaries)
or for building the i686 version:
  rpmbuild -bb --target i686 kernel-2.4.26-1.ll.spec

Now, if you want to add a patch.......
If you want to end up with rpm packages for the modified kernel you have
to try to understand how the spec file works, not that easy but not
rocket science either. You would have to:

- add another patch (in two places, first the name of the patch file,
then how to apply it - see all patches that are there for examples).
- change the configuration files to include whatever you added (they are
stored in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/*2.4.26*config (or after a rpmbuild
-bp in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.26/linux-2.4.26/configs/
- rebuild the packages...

And/or try to find other repository that has packages for it already and
copy what they did (it is possible to create separate rpms for kernel
modules as I do with alsa).

-- Fernando