[PlanetCCRMA] Other repositories

Tue May 25 15:10:03 2004

> I'd like to be able to install non-music related stuff such as Gimp 2
> via apt.  From reading around a bit it seems that package conflict
> issues can arise when mixing different repositories, so I was wondering
> which of the other repositories I should use, and whether there's
> anything I should watch out for.

It is hard to say which ones are best as I don't actively use them.
Freshrpms/At/Dag should be fairly safe bets, I guess.

Things to watch out for... well, I don't know. One that comes to mind is
apt and its configuration files. Make a backup of sources.list and
apt.conf...

Things that could happen:
- a new apt gets installed that overwrites the configuration files
  (so the ccrma urls are gone)
- some repositories have newer versions of apt that for example refuse
  to install unsigned packages (can be fixed with an option in apt.conf)

Use the command line apt and watch for packages that are going to be
removed, if you get a notice saying that 200 packages are going to be
removed... don't say "yes" :-)

Sorry to not have more concrete examples...
-- Fernando