[PlanetCCRMA] Installing two RH 9.0 Root Partitions?

Barton Bosch bartonbosch@softhome.net
Mon May 24 21:49:02 2004

Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:04:45 -0700
> Barton Bosch <bartonbosch@softhome.net> wrote:
>

>>I've been googling around for an hour trying to find more info
>>on running two linux installations on one machine/hdd but I'm
>>not having a lot of luck.  I want to have one "production"
>>planet ccrma installation where I can actually get things done,
>>a plain vanilla rh 9.0 installation to try to get Gimp 2.0 up
>>and running, and possibly a third rh 9.0 or ccrma installation
>>to tinker with.
>

> I think what you're trying to do is set up a machine that can boot
> from multiple partitions*.  Check this out...
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

That faq is geared more toward multibooting two or three M$
partitions in addition to one Linux partition, but it does have
some good info on GRUB.  Thanks for the pointer.  The GRUB info
page contains a good deal of useful documentation as well.

> I have 3-4 partitions that I can boot from, which means I can go and
> try Fedora and continue to shake my head and go back to the RH9/Planet
> environment that just works.  The only standard partition I'll mount
> across installations is /home, the rest gets reloaded.

I decided to go with three bootable linux partitions using the
same /home, /data and /swap partitions.  I hope I'm not speaking
too soon, but it looks like it will just be a matter of editing
/boot/grub/grub.conf to be able to boot into the second or third
root partitions.

In any case making a grub boot floppy to experiment with looks
like the way to go.

Thanks again,

Barton