[PlanetCCRMA] Installing two RH 9.0 Root Partitions?

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Sat May 22 07:27:00 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:04:45 -0700
Barton Bosch <bartonbosch@softhome.net> wrote:

> I've been googling around for an hour trying to find more info
> on running two linux installations on one machine/hdd but I'm
> not having a lot of luck.  I want to have one "production"
> planet ccrma installation where I can actually get things done,
> a plain vanilla rh 9.0 installation to try to get Gimp 2.0 up
> and running, and possibly a third rh 9.0 or ccrma installation
> to tinker with.

I think what you're trying to do is set up a machine that can boot
from multiple partitions*.  Check this out...

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Multiboot-with-GRUB.html

I have 3-4 partitions that I can boot from, which means I can go and
try Fedora and continue to shake my head and go back to the RH9/Planet
environment that just works.  The only standard partition I'll mount
across installations is /home, the rest gets reloaded.

* There's also a way to run a Linux installation (or even more than one)
  under a running linux installation at the same time!  I have done that
  with User-Mode Linux ( http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/ ) but
  I don't think that's what you mean.