[PlanetCCRMA] Windowmaker/ Ardour/ Thanks

Thu May 13 15:24:02 2004

> I've just installed my 700MHz Athlon/Duron with FC1.  It has an emu10k
> on irq 10 with nothing preceeding it on the pci bus, I removed an extra
> drive that was causing problems on the IDE bus.  I have the hard drive
> and the CDROM on separate IDE interfaces.  everything seems to be
> working fine as far as machine and OS.
>
> Alsa configured fine with alsaconf.  This is the first time I've used
> alsa.  I've done apt-get install planetccrma-audiovideoapps.  Jackd and
> ardour start fine.  Ardour was my main concern - its the application I
> really want to use.
>
> My two questions are:
>
> 1) I was following
> http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ardour/Basic_editing_howto.html  when I came
> across a couple of inconsistancies between the instructions and what I
> am seeing.  I'm guessing they are slightly different versions?

Very different versions, actually. Regretfully the pages does not have a
creation date but I think that tutorial was written a long time ago.
Ardour has changed (and will keep changing) a LOT.

> One
> thing I see is that "import and convert audio" doesn't seem to exist and
> the window/procedure for importing sound is slightly different.  no
> worries. I can still insert audio just fine.  But, another thing I
> notice is that on
> http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ardour/Basic_recording_howto.html, I am told to
> use the recorder window under windows in the editor window but it
> doesn't appear there.  Now, I used alsamixer to turn on microphone boost
> and to unmute and turn up the microphone input on my emu10k.  this
> works.  I can hear it through the card and I also see the levels change
> in the mixer window.  When I select an audio track for recording and
> click the transport record button and click the play button, I see the
> transport move across the editor window.  I can hear other tracks that I
> dropped imported files onto.  I can see the new "Audio 1.1" or "Audio
> 1.2" or whatever its named at the time region (? is that called a
> region? ).  However, when I click transport stop, the waveform does not
> display.

Have you connected the input of the channel you are going to record into
to the physical jack port? You are probably missing this simple step.
Click on the input button of the mixer strip for that channel...

-- Fernando