[PlanetCCRMA] Fedore Core 2 (status of)

Thu May 13 15:18:02 2004

> I'm thinking about installing Fedora on a new system and will be using Planet
> CCRMA at Home.  I noticed that Fedora Core 2 is set to be released next week.
> Should I wait and install that or just go with Fedora Core 1?

Depends on how long you may want to wait :-)
Instant satisfaction would indicate FC1 for now...
Here's some quick notes about the status:

Applications:

I've been very busy doing a complete rebuild of Planet CCRMA on top of
Fedora Core 2 Test 3. I'm almost done. Taking the current FC1 as a
reference (with around 254 packages not counting kernels and drivers) I
have around 10 that I have not tried yet (or know for some reason that
they will fail the build), and, at this time, 10 are not building at
all:

  noteedit, swh-plugins, audacity, ecamegapedal, ardour, gmorgan,
  hydrogen, rezound, simsam, timfx.

Most of the failures are c++ complaints with (most probably) an easy
fix. Caveat emptor: note that I have _not_ tested most of the packages
that did build :-) I know that qjackctl is happy, and of course I tried
freqtweak :-)

Hopefully all of this work will mean that Planet CCRMA will not take
that long to appear after I manage to download the final release. But
read on...

Kernel and drivers:

This is not so easy. I did build 2.4.26-1.ll under FC2T3 but I don't
think that is the way to go. There are little incompatibilities that are
going to be painful for the average user (the mouse configuration is
different, the init scripts assume some things will be there that are
not in 2.4, kudzu will "rediscover" hardware and many other little
details I'm forgetting).

So it would seem that 2.6.x would be the kernel to use (I currently have
a test version of 2.6.6 with preempt, soundcore and the realcap kernel
module added). 2.6.x has its own problems, latency is pretty good but
(at least) for video cards based on radeon, r128 and mga chipsets there
will be latency hits if you use acceleration. Just today I got some hard
data with kernel traces that kernel gurus will be looking at... Another
side effect of 2.6.x is that midishare has not yet been ported over to
the new kernel so that it will be missing (and its support in apps that
use it, like fluidsynth and common music).

Anyway, just a "heads up" for those anxious to stop making music and
start dealing with the latest and greatest (bugs?)!

Back to compiling mode.......
-- Fernando