[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA New Installation - Hang

Wed May 5 10:49:00 2004

> I am having trouble getting planet CCMRA running on my Dell Inspiron
> 7000 laptop on which I have been running Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1.  I
> get the kernel and alsa installed.  The alsaconfig script runs okay and
> I can get the basic sound functioning.  Some of the CCRMA supplied sound
> applications work (eg. audacity).  Others (eg. noteedit) hang the
> machine.  The hang is complete to the point where alt-ctlr-bs and
> alt-ctlr-del do not break out.  I am forced to remove power and battery
> to reboot.

Ouch. Which other apps have you tried that hang the machine? Anything in
common? I can't really try to guess at what may be happening.

> I have tried a number of things to try to locate and correct
> the problem without success.  I'd appreciate additional debugging
> suggestions.
>
> Sound hardware is ESS Technology ES1968 Maestro 2
>
> Here is what I have tried:
>
> 1)I started with the CCRMA CDs for FC1 and performed a complete new
> install of the OS, CCRMA low latency kernel, alsa drivers with the
> dist-upgrade, etc. per the documentation.  The alsaconf script works and
> basic sound worked.  This produced the problem described above.  I
> checked for errors in /var/log/messages, ~.xsession-errors and
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  In messages there were complaints from
> modprobe: "Can't locate module sound-slot-1" and 3 others about slot-1.
> I assume that  this is  something looking for a 2nd  sound card as my
> ess1968 is configured as slot-0.   There were a couple of warnings in
> the XFree log about unusable frequencies.  .xsession was clean .  The
> stderr of  one of the failing applications, noteedit, produced the error
> "_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root.
>
> 2) After various unsuccessful attempts to disable various XFree
> acceleration options on the graphics card (ATI Rage Mobility), I decided
> to try the kernel supplied on the CCRMA CDs without the low latency
> feature.  The results were the same.

This is not good, it means the original RedHat kernel has the problem as
well.

It would seem (probably) some kind of ALSA problem, maybe related to
using a particular access mode (probably mmap). Just a guess...

-- Fernando