[PlanetCCRMA] Good Motherboard for Planet CCRMA?

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Wed Jun 30 05:07:03 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Rick Sutphin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to set up a computer for use with Planet CCRMA. The
> computer I built has a Biostar M7NCD motherboard, with an Athlon 2500+
> and 1G PC3200 RAM.
>
> I have tried fresh installs with both Fedora Core 1 (on board networking
> not supported), and Fedora Core 2. The computer runs fine with the stock
> kernel. When I install the Planet CCRMA low latency kernel, the
> computer locks up hard and can only be shut off by shutting it off by
> the power supply. I could probably get everything working all right by
> patching and hand compiling the kernel, but I don't really want to have
> to go through all of that every time a new kernel is released.
> Furthermore, nVidia the chipset maker, and Biostar the motherboard
> manufacturer both seem to have only luke warm support for Linux.
>
> Over all it appears the board is poorly supported under Linux. I was
> wondering if someone could recommend a board that is well supported
> under Linux; I am currently considering a Tyan board.

This question should have been answered in some kind of FAQ. I just
answered the same question one week ago. No, an nforce board is not
that well supported under linux with the vanilla kernel. You have
to add the nolapic kernel option to turn off local apic. Works fine then.