[PlanetCCRMA] added: ALPHA version of Planet Core components for FC2

Mon Jun 21 11:50:01 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 23:08, Louis van Dompselaar wrote:
> > Strange. But those things are working with the standard fc2 kernel,
> > right?
>
> Yes, no problem on bog-standard FC2.  It's actually repeatable
> on the CCRMA kernel:
>
> [root@babylero root]# service realcap stop
> Unloading realcap modules:                                 [  OK  ]
> [root@babylero root]# service named restart
> Stopping named:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting named: named: capset failed: Operation not permitted
>                                                             [FAILED]

I think I know why this is happening. It is not realcap per se, it is
probably the underlying security module (called commoncap). In the
Fedora kernel commoncap is compiled into the kernel, not as a module.
But I need to compile it as a module, otherwise it is not possible to
add the realcap module to the kernel... sigh...

The failure is strange in the sense that stopping realcap does _not_
remove commoncap. You could test to see if this is the problem by
booting with realcap disabled. "named" should not start. Then
"/sbin/modprobe commoncap" and check if named starts normally.

-- Fernando