[PlanetCCRMA] Help: CCRMA Kernel 2.4.26 unstable

Mikael Konttinen micken@home.se
Sat Jun 19 06:50:02 2004

Hi all,

I'm quite new on linux, though I've got some basic knowledge of the system and how it works, coming from being a poweruser and hopefully migrating to Linux from Windows 2K/XP.

This is the situation, running on a Shuttle SN41G2 with Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB, nForce2 GFX/SND/NIC.  I've followed the Planet CCRMA installation instructions as close as possible, though had to update some components inbetween to get compilation working.

I've made a clean install of RHFC1 w/ APT and updated glib etc. with apt-get. Installed the 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.caps.rhfc1.ccrma kernel that compiles and works just fine after several reboots and reinstallations of network drivers. Ended up using Nvidias own drivers to get the NIC working.

Installed the 2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrma kernel with sources. The orginal kernel is extremly unstable and hangs, so I've tried to recompile the sources several times with different settings. For a long while I thought it was the Forcedeth drivers that hung the machine, as they wont compile properly as modules and when booting the 2.4.26 kernel a lot of network related errors occure, though when compiled into the kernel no errors are displayed.

For some strange reason Forcedeth continued to load even though I had them unchecked in the menuconfig. Finally I removed them manually from my system and recompiled the kernel, hoping for a stable system so that I could install the Nvidia drivers instead. But, the system is still very unstable, and by that I mean that the machine hangs completely after starting virtually any application, forcing a hard boot.

I have googled and searched the list but haven't found any clues of what to do next. The only thing I can find in the system logs are that IP-tables fail on boot, but on the other hand I'm not sure what to look for. Maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Any help appreciated!

Yours
Mkn.

---