[PlanetCCRMA] Re: query re: XFree86 4.4

Tue Jun 8 13:56:01 2004

> A client has upgraded his Planet CCRMA system to RH9 but has run
> into some difficulty with his X configuration. His video is an on-board
> SiS chipset, and his problems will be resolved if he can install the
> latest and greatest XFree86 (4.4 I think). However, we're not at all
> sure what's the best way to do so. If an update to XF86 for PlanetC is
> scheduled soon we'll wait; if not, perhaps someone can advise us on the
> best way to go about upgrading it ourselves ?

I try hard not to upgrade core components of the distros. XFree86 is one
of them :-) Sorry.

One way to go would be to see what version is available on FC1 (not FC2
because that uses Xorg), verify if that it is new enough, get the source
rpm and try to rebuild it on RH9 (that's what I usually do when I have
to update this kind of stuff). Let me know what you find out (and if I
can help).

I seem to remember that for SiS chipsets there was a web site with
non-official drivers for X...

-- Fernando