[PlanetCCRMA] root vs capabilities

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 10:48:02 2004

--- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> > > If I understand capabilities, then in the
> context of
> use (KDE)
> Bottom
> user I
> and
> work.
> > >
> > > How are you starting jack? What does it say when
> it
> > > starts? As a normal user you should start it
> with the jackstart command
> > > and the "-R" flag, like this:
> > >
> > >   jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw
> > >
> > > (with whatever parameters work with your card,
> of
> > > course).
> >
> > /usr/bin/jackstart -R -p512 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100
> > -p256 -n2
> >
> > that's the .jackdrc file that qjackctl uses.
>
> That sounds fine.
>
> > Fernando, I have no hard evidence but running
> lower
> > than -p512 used to be normal for me. I swear I
> used to
> > run -p128 and -p256 with rock solid performance.
> > During the last several months, i usually run
> -p1024.
> > I don't know what that means. Part of me wonders
> if
> > something has changed in jackd. I guess it has
> > undergone changes. Understanding these things is
> > somewhat beyound me.
> >
> > A couple things that have changed for me since the
> > rock solid performance days are the use of CCRMA
> > rather than Gentoo
>
> Wow, big change! :-)

To not use CCRMA is to ignore the massive amount work
that you've done. You'd have to convince that it would
be wise to go back. :) Really, there's only one
argument and that is learning to use rpmbuild rather
then the Gentoo method of building kernels. I'm lazy
but I should buckle up and enter the ring. Actually,
I've already done this but the results weren't
satisfactory. That's another story.

> > and I changed from an nvidia to an
> > ATI radeon 9500 pro display card. I've installed
> the
> > ATI drivers and it doesn't seem to make much
> > difference.
>
> I have used radeon cards but not the latest 9500, I
> tend to go with
> slower fan-less cards (I think 9200 is the latest I
> have used).

I'm trying to get a job out the door now but maybe by
tomorrow I can experiment with the old NVIDIA card.
I've still got it.

> > I suppose there could be something to the switch
> from
> > Gentoo to CCRMA but wouldn't the issues be centric
> > the kernel and not the distribution?
>
> They _should_ be, of course. Maybe Gentoo has some
> patches that I don't?

All I ever patched was LL, the realtime (forget what
that's called maybe it's something from Robert Love)
and capabilities.

> I don't think so, but it is always a possibility - I
> am assuming you are
> using the same or similar release (2.4.26 is the
> current in Planet
> CCRMA). It could also be the change in the video
> card.

It's been awhile but I think the version was 2.4.22.

> Any clues as to when do the xruns happen? Related to
> some kind of
> activity? Or just apparently random? What sort of
> hardware (other than
> the video card) are you running on? What soundcard?

The xruns seem to be random but I will experiment a
little more to have a better sense.

rme9652; this is the old one not the hdsp
icp vortex raid controler for audio data
WDC WD400BB-00AUA1 for the OS
Tiger MPX (S2466) dual capable AMD MoBo with one CPU
AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2600+
1gig of corsair ram

I have another box in my room that's very similar to
the one in question--hardware redundancy. The primary
exceptions are the display and audio cards. It has the
old NVIDIA display card and an M-Audio 2496. In the
next day or two, I will rebuild and compare results
between the two.

ron