[PlanetCCRMA] root vs capabilities

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Jun 1 10:39:02 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>>I suppose there could be something to the switch from
>>Gentoo to CCRMA but wouldn't the issues be centric to
>>the kernel and not the distribution?
>

> They _should_ be, of course. Maybe Gentoo has some patches that I don't?
> I don't think so, but it is always a possibility - I am assuming you are
> using the same or similar release (2.4.26 is the current in Planet
> CCRMA). It could also be the change in the video card.

I think there are non-audio patches Gentoo applies that CCRMA probably
doesn't have, but this is all hearsay.

I run Gentoo very successfully without the capabilities patch on a 2.6.6
kernel. I don't have many problems with xruns but I no longer push
latency at all and only use Jack for LinuxSampler and sometimes alsaplayer.

Maybe Ron should/could try a Vanilla kernel, or a Gentoo kernel itself?
Do an emerge on a Gentoo box and then drag the tree over to the RH
machine and try building it?

- Mark