[PlanetCCRMA] Help! Can't use ardour any more!

Nathaniel Virgo nathaniel.virgo@ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 24 09:45:01 2004

I did manage to get the older version of ardour back in the end with `apt-get install ardour=11.2` but I'd still be interested to hear if other people are experiencing the same problems with text widgets not working and regions not being able to be moved.  I find it hard to imagine that the developers could have failed to notice these problems before making the release so I think it may be a problem with my setup (see below).

R Parker wrote

>Paul has issued a warning that users should be very
>careful about opening older sessions in newer versions
>of Ardour. The session file format has changed. Older
>session files are supposed to open but then their
>format will be changed to work with the newer Ardour
>release.
>
>If you want to run newer releases of Ardour, you
>should keep the version around that was used to create
>the session and you should keep backups of the
>session.

I do make regular backups so most of my sessions are okay, although the most important one seems to be broken now.

>There are many good reasons to run the newest
>available releases of Ardour.

I know, but they're outweighed if the newest release isn't useable.

>Fernando does a heck of a job keeping up with Ardour
>releases. When a release is fairly usable, he sticks
>with it awhile. If you want to be ahead of his
>releases and you're able to build the source, download
>and build the latest tar ball.  You can run the binary
>directly without doing 'make install'. I don't recall
>if there's a script for doing that but the binary is
>located in ardour/gtk_ardour/ardour

The new version I installed was from Planet CCRMA, not from source.  The version I have installed from source is newer than 11.2 but older than 18.2 because I was doing exactly what you said, except that I found I had to run make install to get it to work.  I think this installed some GUI config stuff that might be what's causing me problems now.

I was under the impression that ardour is to be kept up-to-date from now on, which is good, but if it's at all possible it might be a good idea to be able to install beta11.2 as a seperate package with a differently-named binary so that people can have the choice of a definately stable version if they want.  I'd like to keep things how they are now because it works but I would like to be able to install the latest versions of ardour from Planet CCRMA as well because of all the new features.  Perhaps I should just find a tarball of 11.2 and install that alongside the new Planet CCRMA releases.