[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Size Mismatch Problem

Andrew Wilson djazz@myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 23 19:11:01 2004

--=-/ci/1b6+CMl7IzyLkwi/

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just an update:

Over the past couple of days I am still getting the problem, however it
doesn't consistently happen on all the files (with the exception of the
srclist file).  So I have not been able to do an apt-get update against
the planet repository without getting a size mismatch error.

I have also converted to the ATrpms mirror. (This process has a couple
of catches, but I think definitely worthwhile doing).  All the files
from other repositories were OK with the exception of occassional ftp
exceed user limit type errors.

The planetccrma files still showed a size mismatch error.  Again, with
the exception of the srclist file, the other ones did not consistently
fail.

I'd love to be able to debug this.  What does the "size mismatch" error
actually mean?

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 08:42, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 04:10, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > I've often had problems like this. It would be great if there was a more
> > > intelligent way to try debug them ...
> > > I'm sure that they're not just caching problems as I've checked MD5 sums
> > > from other hosts in other countries and still had the problems...
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:34:56PM +0800, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > > I am not running any local proxy or caching.  My ISP does run a
> > > proxy so I need to confirm that this is not the problem.
> > >
> > > However the problem has been extending over a couple of weeks which
> > > is a long time to hold something in cache.  Also the update process
> > > was working fine on Fedora Core 1 (plus RH9 and RH8).  It was also
> > > possible to retrieve using wget (also http).
> > >
> > > My guess is still with something I have broken, but I am game to
> > > check anything.
> >
> > The mirror at planetccrma.atrpms.net has a server side expiry
> > mechanism to overcome intermediate proxys caching the metadata.
> >
> > Could you try this (It is updated once a day at 19:00 CEST)? If it
> > works it is a caching issue, if not, it is something else.
>
> It would be nice to know what happened if you try the atrpms mirror. If
> there is something I can do at the server side I would do it (Axel: how
> do you set that expiry mechanism?)
>
> -- Fernando

--=-/ci/1b6+CMl7IzyLkwi/

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Thanks for the suggestions.<BR>
<BR>
Just an update:&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Over the past couple of days I am still getting the problem, however it doesn't consistently happen on all the files (with the exception of the srclist file).&nbsp; So I have not been able to do an apt-get update against the planet repository without getting a size mismatch error.<BR>
<BR>
I have also converted to the ATrpms mirror. (This process has a couple of catches, but I think definitely worthwhile doing).&nbsp; All the files from other repositories were OK with the exception of occassional ftp exceed user limit type errors.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The planetccrma files still showed a size mismatch error.&nbsp; Again, with the exception of the srclist file, the other ones did not consistently fail. <BR>
<BR>
I'd love to be able to debug this.&nbsp; What does the &quot;size mismatch&quot; error actually mean?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks again for your help.<BR>
<BR>
Andrew<BR>