[PlanetCCRMA] Nebie question Installation problems... Apt-get update always times out

Sat Jul 17 11:01:02 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 15:09, rodney wrote:
[sorry for the delay, I'm on a trip with sporadic net access]
> I am trying to get the planet running on a Dell M50 laptop. I have installed
> fedora core 1 from the images on the planet web site and heve installed apt
> off the cd. Running 'apt-get update' gets no result.
>
> So far I have tried with the ircam mirror and the stanford site by editing
> the sources.list file.
>
> It tries for 15 minutes then gives up.

How about accessing the web? Apt just uses http...

> I guess I'll install everything from the CD images and see how that goes.
>
> Also, I couldn't get fedora's update wizard to connect or download anything
> (I mean the one that comes up when you click the checkmark to the bottom
> right of the desktop on the toolbar).
>
> We have a proxy for http. I set this as the proxy in Fedora's proxy tool. Is
> there some other place I should be editng or changing to make this work?

Yes, probably. I have not used this but there is an option for http
proxies in apt, look at the /etc/apt/apt.conf.

-- Fernando