[PlanetCCRMA] General processing ?

R Parker rtp405@yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 14:24:01 2004

--- mike@banta.psyc.missouri.edu wrote:
> Sorry if there's a better list for this stuff, if
> so, please direct me so
> I can not waste people's time.

The linux-audio-user@ list probably has more
discussions for these topics than the CCRMA list.

> 1. What is the best reverb plugin people have found.
>  I'm running Ardour,
> and just need one that sound decent but doesn't
> crash; something only
> freeverb has provided thus far.  Also, good
> compressor recommendations?

Obviously, try them all. I was playing with the TAP
Reverberator and Reverberator Editor last nite. I can
definitely mix and create usable stuff with these.

> 2. Does anyone run compression on the input signal,
> before the harddisk?

Depends on the instrument. I'll print compressed
vocals depending on the singer and the situation. If
the singer is talented it's probably not needed. If
the singer is likely to request punchins on subsequent
sessions, I won't compress or EQ. I want to recreate
the sound of the original session without any effort.

If I'm doing meatball engineering, then it doesn't
bother me to print compressed and equalized vocal
tracks.

> It would take power away from post-recording
> mixing...however, it seems I
> could get a much hotter, non-clipping input if I do
> this.

What do you need hotter signals for?

Signal to noise in digital isn't a problem.
Compression isn't computationaly expensive. You can do
nonrealtime normalization on tracks with low levels. I
never do but I don't think there's any reason not to.

ron