[PlanetCCRMA] Re: yum

Axel Thimm planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jul 14 02:19:01 2004

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:04:40AM +0200, David Fraser wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>=20
> >On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:45:09PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >=20
> >
> >>Any chance to yum-ify the Planet repository?
> >>
> >>apt is fine and dandy, but PlanetCCRMA is based on Fedora, and it seems
> >>like the majority of Fedora users prefer yum - and most of the other
> >>Fedora software repositories are based on yum or at least yum-enabled.
> >>  =20
> >>

> >I agree that yum support in PlanetCCRMA would be nice. But there are
> >still more apt users in fedora that yum users, even though yum comes
> >with the CDs shipped. At least that's what my web stats say (3:1) and
> >I know freshrpms has similar stats.
> >
> >BTW you need to make stats based on visitors, not hits, as yum
> >generates quite a lot of hits ...
> >=20
> >
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but can anyone explain exactly why yum=20
> was written? It seems to just be a copy of apt to me... I haven't been=20
> able to find any information on the web on real feature comparisons=20
> between the two

The most striking advantage is that yum is smaller than apt and thus
easier to maintain and code review. That and the fact that it didn't
have the political stamp of Debian on it was the reason RH chose to
add it to Fedora (but note that up2date supports apt repos, too!)

Here is yum author's reasoning (http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/question=
s.ptml):
 Q. Why not just use apt-rpm?
 A. a number of reasons:

   1. I didn't wanna
   2. At the time yum started apt didn't do a number of things I
      needed and it didn't do a number of other things very nicely
   3. I wanted to learn python
   4. yum is relatively pretty and relatively nice and has
      significantly less legacy baggage than apt
   5. Size of codebase in apt (find -name \*.cc | xargs wc -l): 40141
      Size of codebase in yum (find -name \*.py | xargs wc -l): 4681
   6. Yum is written in python and therefore can benefit from code
      theft from anaconda and up2date - I did indeed steal the lilo
      updating code directly from up2date and learned A LOT from
      anaconda.

The list looked different and caused grief at the apt lists
(http://distro.conectiva.com.br/pipermail/apt-rpm/2003-November/002067.html=
):
> That's FUD. When you have nothing else to say you just use
> something like this. Yum's maintainer himself (which is subscribed
> to this list, IIRC) said that this was introduced in the FAQ to
> shut up people that was always bothering about why not using APT-RPM.
--=20
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e

--Pk6IbRAofICFmK5e--