[PlanetCCRMA] Re: yum

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 14 01:46:00 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:04:40AM +0200, David Fraser wrote:
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but can anyone explain exactly why yum
> was written? It seems to just be a copy of apt to me... I haven't been
> able to find any information on the web on real feature comparisons
> between the two

I think yum predates the stuff that lets you use apt with RPMs. It comes
from yellow dog linux, which is a PPC redhat-like distro.

There is a subtle technical difference, something to do with yum doing the
dependency maths in the client, not on the server, which is theoretically
more robust, but my experience (I use a mixture of both :-/ ) is that apt
is slightly better engineered or mature.

- Steve