[PlanetCCRMA] gnome error after installing planet

Sat Jul 3 10:17:01 2004

> Has anyone ever seen this one?

No, sorry...

> GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 135 (): error 'No such
> process' during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy,
> &sched)'
>
> I get this after logging into gnome (KDE works fine), which crashes and
> sends me back to the log in
> screen.
>
> This happened after I just installed...
>
> kernel-smp-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.i686.rpm
> kernel-source-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.i386.rpm
>
> ..on a dell Precision 420 machine with nvidia quadro FX 1000 video card
> connected via a dvi cable to Dell 2001FP monitor.  I had to install the
> source because dkms_autoinstall needs to ammed the kernel to support the Nvidia
> Quadro FX video card, which uses the (1.0-5328) driver.

The 2.4.26 Planet CCRMA kernel does not have nptl (the new style
threading library). Glibc should recognize this and switch to the old
threading code automatically. Perhaps something else in the system is
not so smart and is trying to use nptl anyway. You could try the other
kernel (based on the RedHat kernel). It does have nptl but the latency
performance is not so good.

-- Fernando