[PlanetCCRMA] Channels and soundfonts on Qsynth

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Fri Jan 30 17:29:01 2004

I am trying to figure out how to use fluidsynth and qsynth. The
fluidynth man page does not help me with the problem I have and qsynth
only has a devel-list. I hope someone here could help.

I am able to load multiple soundfonts into fluidsynth and can see that
they get numbered with SFID which I assume means Sound Font
IDentificator. I can also play using the first soundfont.

In Qsynth in "setup-soundfonts" I can see the loaded soundfonts and
associeated SFIDs. By clicking "channels" I can see instrumets assigned
to channels and can change the active channel from the keyboard to
change active channels and thereby instruments.

Here come the questions:
a) How do I assign different soundfonts to different channels in
qsynth? E.g. I would like my pianocollection soundfont to listen to
channel 1, my organs to channel 2, my synthpads to channel 3, etc? Now
all channels are directed to the same soundfont, which seems redundant
to me, as I can switch between instruments with the program key.

b) How do I do this same trick in rosegarden if I want to play
instruments from different soundfonts simultaneously.

br, Timo