[PlanetCCRMA] alsa settings

Thu Jan 29 17:17:02 2004

> I have a slightly annoying, but seemingly harmless problem with my alsa settings.
> It seems when I boot, at the point where 'restoring sound driver settings'
> happens, quite a lot of hiss comes out of my audio out.  It stays at its amplitude
> until I launch pd, at which point it goes away (before I start audio).  I can also
> start xmms and the hiss goes away only when I play the first file, not when I
> launch the app.  Any clues anyone?  This isn't the normal hiss from the noisefloor
> of my cheap card, its quite loud.  I can hear it from the built in piezo speaker
> in my laptop from across the room.

I would try resetting the mixer setup and recreating it. Change the name
of the mixer state file (/etc/asound.state) so that alsa does not see it
anymore (or move the file somewhere else). Stop alsa and start it again.
All channels should be muted and volume should be 0. Hopefully at this
point you won't hear hiss. Set volumes again with alsamixer or gamix.
Save the state with "/usr/sbin/alsactl store".

-- Fernando