[PlanetCCRMA] Re: The future of low-cost laptop-aided music

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Thu Jan 29 12:44:02 2004

>From: "Mr.Freeze" <theremin@free.fr>
>Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] The future of low-cost laptop-aided music
>
>As the NAMM Show is behaving rowdily, the low-cost external
>soundcard market is
>taking off. Let's just list three of the newly available
>behind-the-300-ish-bucks-bar FireWire or USB 2 24/96 fully compliant audio
>interfaces: M-Audio FireWire Audiophile, Terratec Aureon 7.1
>FireWire, Behringer
>B-Control Audio BCA2000. Is it definitely time swapping the good ol'
>noisy piece
>of furniture for a laptop?

well, the unfortunate thing i have found is that none of the firewire
devices are able to be addressed by linux drivers as of yet. pity,
because i have the m-audio fw410 (i use it on my mac laptop, which
has actual 6pin fw ports so can bus-power it, unlike most intel/amd
laptops. )
i recently got a sharp actius laptop and installed planet-ccrma
fedora core and it works very well (only has 1/8" line i/o ports) i
have been using it with the built in intel8x0 sound, haven't tried
using my rme multiface with the cardbus (multiface usually on the
desktop planet box)
the one problem i have noticed is acpi - it exists on irq 9 with the
sound card, seems to generate xruns occaisonally. i have it enabled
to monitor battery and such, though i guess it's not really
necessary, i just haven't looked into optimizing the situation yet..
Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
   jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com