[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [Agnula-Users] Re: [Agnula-Developers] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] default .asoundrc file?

Andrea Glorioso sama@agnula.org
Wed Jan 28 10:28:01 2004

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Is it really necessary to have one? So far I have never needed one. What
> would it provide that the default settings don't? I know that, for
> example, you can create stereo "devices" over a multichannel card but
> those are specialized setups, I would say.

The only commonly-request  setup that  comes to my  mind is  the  dmix
virtual device - although you can obtain the same effect with jack.

Aside from this, what  I had in  mind was simply a complete  .asoundrc
with descriptive  comments  for  each  entry.    Something that  could
probably live into the documentation, probably.

In any case,  I'm interested and open  to  suggestions on what  a good
.asoundrc file  could be - but nothing  more than that, i.e.   in this
moment   we  don't  have  the  manpower   to study   all  the possible
combinations  .asoundrc  directives can  take and  come   out  with an
all-encompassing solution (supposing there is one).

bye,

andrea