[PlanetCCRMA] midisport 2x2 and delta 44 mutually exclusive?

Fri Jan 23 09:41:02 2004

> I just installed the CCRMA core on a fresh new RH 9 system.  I did
> alsaconf and it got my Delta 44 working, and then I noticed the
> instructions for setting up usb midi.  The system didn't seem to
> recognize it (/proc/asound/cards only listed the delta 44), so I rebooted
> my system, and X wouldn't start.  So I took out "card_limit=4" from
> /etc/modules.conf, and rebooted the system (with the midisport still
> plugged in), and all the system scripts gave green go's and X started up
> fine.  I checked /proc/asounds/cards and this time it showed the usb-midi
> but not the delta 44.

You have to have card_limit=2 or greater and a proper multicard
configuration in /etc/modules.conf (what is the content of that file
now?). The usb subsystem gets started early in the boot process (before
the alsasound script), the midisport is recognized and alsa loaded and
by the time alsasound runs it does not have an additional "slot" in
which to put the other card.

> (Jack and aplay didn't work.)  So I ran
> /sbin/alsaconf and that got the soundcard (and aplay) working again, but
> then /proc/asounds/cards showed the delta 44 but not the usb-midi.
[MUNCH]
> Anyway, sorry to take up so much space, but I thought maybe someone would
> know what was going on.  BTW, I just spent a couple of fruitless days
> trying to get an audio system running on Slackware, so I really
> appreciate how relatively idiot-proof and well-organized planet CCRMA is!

Thanks...
Try this modules.conf (only the alsa section):

# --- ALSA configuration
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
#--- OSS compatibility alias
sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=2
options snd-ice1712 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1
#--- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
add options -k snd-card-1
#--- ALSA configuration END

-- Fernando