[PlanetCCRMA] too many processes?

david moss monokinetic@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 08:22:02 2004

Hi all,
first up must say a big thanks to everyone who works
on ccrma, its the first audio linux i managed to get
working and it has obviously had a lot of work put
into it!

I have tried to avoid asking too many newbie questions
here, instead spending rather a lot of time reading
all the ldp.org files and various other linux web
resources. However I have come up against a strange
problem and since Im still a newbie i wonder if
someone more experienced could help?

I have installed RH7.3 with CCRMA downloaded as iso's
from the end of october, all my various playing around
has lead to various crashes and I suspect that
something hasnt "cleaned up" after itself. Currently I
always log in as root to achieve the correct
scheduling for realtime operation, however MUSE seems
to open itself up also! I have run top and the gnome
system monitor, shut down the appropriate processes
and rebooted various times, each time though MUSE
reappears. I suspect the problem isnt just with MUSE
because I do seem to have quite a lot of processes
running when I look in the system monitor. Infact
currently my 256mb of ram seem to be 83 percent used
up!!!

So my questions:

Can someone give me an idea of how to stop this
process auto running each time i boot?

Is it ususal to have over 20 processes running even
after just booting the machine and viewing the desktop
and having run no other software?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Regards

Dave mK