[PlanetCCRMA] weird behaviour from apt-get

Mon Jan 19 21:47:00 2004

> apt-get keeps randomly telling me i have multiple versions of things and
> then contradicting itself. I swear this is actual, untampered-with
> output:
>
> [root@localhost root]# apt-get remove fftw
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package fftw is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.
> W: There are multiple versions of "fftw" in your system.
>
> This package won't be cleanly updated, unless you leave
> only one version. To leave multiple versions installed,
> you may remove that warning by setting the following
> option in your configuration file:
>
> RPM::Allow-Duplicated { "^fftw$"; };
>
> To disable these warnings completely set:
>
> RPM::Allow-Duplicated-Warning "false";
>
> W: There are multiple versions of "wxGTK" in your system.
>
> And then it goes on to tell me about all these other packages that have
> multiple versions but somehow also are not installed at all...

Hmmm, well, have you checked? What is the output of, for example:
  rpm -q fftw
or
  rpm -q wxGTK

Most probably you will find that you have duplicated packages. The only
way I know this can happen is if you install a package with "-ivh"
instead or "-Uvh". Let us know what you find.

> What could possibly cause this self-contradictory behaviour? Is there a
> conflict between the PlanetCCRMA repository and the one at
> freshrpms.net? I only recently added freshrpms to my sources.list but i
> removed it and still got this weird behaviour, so that's not the only
> problem. Otherwise apt-get works fine, "apt-get check" says everything's
> okay, it's just this one weird thing that keeps happening
> intermittently.

That _is_ very strange. It should happen, or not. It should not be
intermittent at all.

-- Fernando