[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Starting fluidsynth

Timo Sivula timo.sivula@luukku.com
Mon Jan 19 04:45:04 2004

On 2004.01.19 07:59 Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> You should turn off esd, otherwise it will monopolize the sound device
> and you may not be able to use other audio applications.

More on this below....

> What happens if at the fluidsynth prompt you type:
>   noteon 1 69 127

The following:

  - - - clip clip - - -

[timo@muska timo]$ fluidsynth -a alsa -m alsa-seq soundfonts/GM.sf2
cca_open_socket: error connecting to destination 'localhost:14541':
Connection refused
cca_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost:14541' - disabling
ladcca
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is
possible.fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM
samples
** Using format s16, rw, interleaved
fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the
audio output
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested midi driver
Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
will be available. You can access the synthesizer
through the console.
fluidsynth version 1.0.3
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
  Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

> noteon 1 69 127

- - - clip clip - - - -

At this point fluidsynth plays a note. Every time I repeat the command
it does it again, even without closing ESD. Pressing a key on the
keyboard does not produce any kind of sound.

Here is my modules conf, for what it is worth:

- - -  clipeti clip

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 tulip
  # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1370
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
options snd-ens1370 index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
  (END)

- - - clipeti clip - - - -

br, Timo