[PlanetCCRMA] Problem loading ardour

Alex Timmer mijn_troep@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 03:21:03 2004

 --- Joe Curtis <joe.curtis@georgestreetpress.co.uk> wrote: > Hi,
> I am a newbie with a FC1 installation built from scratch using the
> ccrma
> .iso images burnt to CD. I can start jack successfully:-
> [root@Craythorne-Consultants root]# jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r
> 44100
> back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success
> jackd 0.80.0
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support
> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|nomon|swmeter|rt
> open
> starting engine
>
> but not ardour
>
> [root@Craythorne-Consultants root]# ardour
> Ardour/GTK 0.409.2 running with libardour 0.697.0
> MIDI: MTC on port hw:0 MMC on port hw:0
> liblrdf: error -  - file '/root/.ardour//sfdb' open failed - No such
> file or directory
> Segmentation fault
> [root@Craythorne-Consultants root]#
>
> I can't trace .ardour or sfdb anywhere on the system.
>
> Can you tell me how to resolve this?
>
> Regards
>
> Joe Curtis

hello Joe,

to get ardour running, try to create the sfdb file manually. iirc this
is a little 'feature' that slipped into the latest Ardour on the CCRMA
cdroms.  ;-)
if the ~/.ardour directory does not exist (which i doubt), i think its
safe to create that as well. but i remember that i only had to do a
touch .ardour/sfdb to get this fixed (i used RH9 + CCRMA cdroms).

btw., i see you run jack and ardour as root. if you installed jack and
ardour from CCRMA, you do not need to do that to benefit from realtime
scheduling! just start jack and ardour as normal user.
hmmm, on second thought, this is only true if your kernel has the
capabilities (caps) patch applied. both the CCRMA kernel and the RedHat
'caps' kernel contain this patch.

good luck, ALEX